Tuesday, December 14, 2010

This Old Chair

Two weeks before JS and I married 32 years ago,we
bought the old cabin. A real cabin, made out of railroad
ties, no foundation, no running water in the winter,
no electricity no TV and best of all no phone.
"A lot like the cow camp, but with indoor plumbing".
It was our honeymoon cabin. We spent two whole
days of a weekend with JS's Irish Setter, Rudy and
a red canoe. We were on top of the world.

The people who sold it to us walked off and left
everything behind. Dishes, bedding, tools, a stack of
vintage Play Boys, beds, dinning set and this old chair.

It never looked this good the entire time it was in the
old cabin. When we decided to sell the place, we did
the same and left every thing behind, but the chair.

I couldn't part with it, so I brought it home and
peeled all the lairs of fabric...... 7 !
Green cut pile, orange Japanese Fans, red,
3 different blues and the old brown on top.
I had the cushions recovered. Washed the frame
with oil soap and sanded it, then had a couple
of coats of clear coat put on it
I think it turned our pretty good.
It has no marks, but I think it's from around the
Late 40s early 50's? not sure.
Wouldn't mine finding more pieces like it.

PS..................JS's mom took care of the Play Boys.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Thats a pretty cool chair, but 7 layers of fabric!! thats a lot of times its been recovered. I think you did a pretty good job of it.

BridgeEtta said...

Now that's what I call a chair! It sounds like it's one that could tell some pretty fun stories. I'm scratching my head though, trying to envision it in orange Japanese fans.

5 Starr's Farm said...

Hi Ladies, LOL....all the fabric is what held it together. They were all manly, even the fans just looked like a brown and orange pattern till you looked close. I put the brown vinyl, would have loved to had leather. Is't it the coolest chair, wish I could fine more like it. Have a great day !