Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cabin Tour

I thought you might like to see the cabin. We bought the
property in 2003, just as an investment. We had a cabin
that we hadn't been using much and really didn't need
another. But how many chances do you get to buy
lake front property in the mountains?

Just land no structures, but a lot of work. Downed trees,
brush, cleaning in general. After two years of working
weekend, sleeping on the ground and using the neighbor's
bathroom there had to be a change! It would be years
before we would build a cabin, we would just build a
garage with a bathroom and "storage"
"So we're storing a cabin up stairs"

The down stairs is the garage were we keep every thing,
fire wood, tools, suppliers, and "A Full Bathroom".

You have to go up stairs to the main living area. The
building is 24 x 24 and the one room has it all. Kitchen,
Dinning, Living and Bedroom and a loft up stairs were
the kids sleep when we're all here .

The one room reminds me of the cow camp we lived
in when I was a kid, though I think mom would disagree.
It has all the comforts of home the cow camp didn't.

I was going to cover the valances over the windows with
saddle blankets till I saw the price of them, so I used rugs.

JS hung them up with "nails" so I put spur rowels on
the nails to be more decorative.
Our "Art Collection" going down the stairs, I like
western, cowboy and wildlife the most.
Bev Doolittle is one of my favorites.
This is actually a napkin from the Yuba- Sutter Cattle
Woman with brands from all the ranches in their
counties. It has my great grandfathers, grandfathers,
two great uncles and an uncles brands on it.
I thought it made a nice keep sake so had it framed.
This picture I bought the day of our 30 anniversary up
in Quincy. JS had business there, so I tagged along. I was
walking around window shopping and found this gallery
with all kinds of western art, I liked this one. It somehow
reminded me of my life. The rider is me, the
horse is my life, you might note, we're looking in opposite
directions. That about sums up 30 years with JS.
We have the same goals in life, just on different trails.

Well this concludes our tour for the day and you may
make your donations to.................... ;-)

2 comments:

Linda said...

Sam,
I love your cabin! It's beautiful. And my favorite of your pics is the framed napkin with your family's brands on it! What an amazing find!
Hope the family's well. Have a wonderful Christmas!
Love,
Linda Draper

BridgeEtta said...

Love your taste. I have no aversion to looking back while I'm on a horse who is keeping track of where he's going so I liked that picture. Plus I kind of like looking back at my age.