Monday, June 27, 2011

Faults Alarm


When you see a helicopter with a water bucket,
hanging under it, you start looking for the fire.

I heard him go over the house, but didn't pay much attention.
There's always something flying around here.  Then noticed 
that he was still close.  I grabbed the binoculars and went
  outside.   He was right over my neighbor's pond, ( so I thought ) the fire
 had to be close?  I kept watching and watching.  He was just
hovering in the sky, occasionally making a full circle but never
 putting the bucket in the water?

I looked and looked, no smoke, then he started to come down to the ground.
When he came up again, no bucket?
I realized then that he wasn't over the neighbor's pond, but
the fire house up the road.  They must have been doing some training's.
Well good for them, a little heads up would have been nice.


3 comments:

Fiona said...

We have a Rescue Helicopter located in the town 100 km to our south. Whenever it goes over (which it all too frequently does) it sends a shiver up my spine. It means someone's critically injured somewhere, either road accident or property accident, horse falls, quad rollovers. Always a sense of foreboding when that wretched chopper flies past.

5 Starr's Farm said...

Hi Fiona, I know what you mean, the big Borate Bombers (fire retardant planes) have a distinct sound. You definitely make a point to see where their headed.

TjandMark/AKA PearlandHawkeye said...

We had a training day for Cal Fire on our ranch a few years ago. Unfortunately, we did tell the neighbors. It made for some frantic folks, then we called the local radio station and gave a heads up as well as telling everyone who called. And you know country living... news travels fast. LOL