Thursday, October 21, 2010

Oak Trees

Since I started this blog I now carry my camera everywhere.
Constantly looking for interesting subjects, or for the
Sunday Stills challenges. For every one good shot,
I delete 10. I am not a photographer.
When JS asked me to take some things up to a job I was exited.
It's located up on top of a ridge above the rim rock and has
a great view of the valley and the Sutter Buttes. Once I got
there, I couldn't see the valley or the buttes. It was so hazy,
that all I could see was gray.
At the entrance to the job was this great oak tree and wagon,
so I took some shots. It started me thinking about all the big
Valley Oaks and how we're losing them to disease or "progress".
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a tree hugger I believe in
responsible logging and wood heat. But the big oaks are what
makes the California landscape.................."CALIFORNIA"
The big oaks were always apart of my growing up, like giant
guardians watching over my life. Before I started school, the
acorns and the oak balls with a few burnt wooden matches
were my toys. They became my play mates as I got older. The
big limbs hanging to the ground made for easy climbing to
imaginary worlds and day dreaming. When I was big
enough to ride with my Dad and Mom we would find the
cows shaded up beneath them. After high school, I started
traveling around the country side and when I came back to
California they were the first to welcome me home.
Now they are dear old friends and the keepers of my memories.

3 comments:

colleen said...

I think I could sit on that wagon under the tree forever. So beautiful

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

These days, with that digital camera. we can shoot and delete. I usually don't delete unless they are really blur, you can use them at another occasion.

Shirley said...

We used to climb the pine trees and spruce trees when we were kids and imagine we were at the top of a mast on a pirates sailing ship... the outdoors and imagination were our playground and entertainment.