Friday, August 12, 2011

Keeping Secrets


If you live in a small town, there is no suck thing as keeping secrets.
Somebody, knows somebody, who's married to somebody.
Our county is pretty connected in that way, for generations.

Last fall, JS and I bought acreage, in the mountains down the road
 from the cabin.  We had tried to buy it before, but were told  in
 no uncertain terms,  "It was not for sale."    So we were surprised 
when it came on the market.   Not! a well planned out purchase,
that a middle aged, thinking about retirement (no time soon) couple
would make.  No! it was the starry eyed, "Oh my gosh it's for sale!!"
perches, that you would have made in your 30s, not thinking out past
 the end of your nose.  JS got that look on his face, when he's about
to embark on a new project.  The look of glee, like a kid who's
discovered that all the gifts under the tree have only his name on them.

Oh.....I'm Happy Too....It's Beautiful!

"But I've been to this rodeo for 33 year and I know who's getting bucked off"

After making a stand, that I wasn't pulling Brush, JS called in the professionals.

"We are now logging."

My Dad drove logging truck for many years so I've been to the
woods with him and seen the operation.   Lets just say logging is messy
and this past two weeks JS has been a little stressed.  Actually  the men
is having nightmares about trees.   First he was afraid we weren't taking
 enough trees and then to many.  And I love the 2am conversations,
that start,    "What do you think if we"  It's that "WE" that gets me
 a little twitchy.    Then the after work, 120  mile round trips
to the mountains to see how many trees did they cut today ?
Hey! wasn't that JS and Sam we just passed?

The tree cutting is done ( just the right amount), JS is sleeping better
and a Big Beautiful D12 Cat with a "Brush Rake" is cleaning the place up.

This gets me to the secrets, out cabin is 60 miles and in another county
 from home.  Tuesday at the Cattle Woman's meeting, me friend LaVern,
turns to me and asked,    "How's the logging going?"
After answering her question, I ask how she heard about it.

LaVern replied "Somebody told me"


4 comments:

Linda said...

LOL can I EVER relate to this post!!

Anonymous said...

I will have to ask JS what happened to slowing down and smelling the roses. I guess wood chips kinda got him....Fantastic. You are never too old for a new project. ENJOY.
lori r.

Shirley said...

LOL @ Anonymous- wood chips do smell as good as roses!
The bonus is that you should make a good dollar on the logs.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a project! Those trees are huge!
We have the same problems here, sometimes rumors fly before you even do something:)